Duke University runs a graduate level exchange with the Free University of Berlin, Germany, open to all students at Duke who have passed their preliminary examinations and demonstrate facility in German sufficient for advanced university-level work.
To apply for the exchange, please provide no later than February 15 the following:
- A 1-2 pp. Statement describing your dissertation project and how it will benefit from the resources offered at the Free University of Berlin.
- Evidence (email correspondence) of academic support from at least one professor/researcher at the FU.
- A brief statement from the Language Program Director of German attesting to sufficient language competency.
- A brief letter of endorsement from your dissertation director. If the dissertation director is endorsing more than one student s/he must rank the candidates.
- An email endorsement from your DGS; the DGS should review of the components listed above (#1-4) and send them on with his/her brief endorsement to Dr. Kata Gellen, Director of Graduate Exchange Programs in Germany: firstname.lastname@example.org. Final approval is given by the Dean of the Graduate School.
All documentation should be submitted via email with the subject line [Applicant] Free University Exchange to email@example.com. Applicants will be notified by mid-March.